This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons.
But while checking out reviews can be useful, your choice of email marketing provider is not one to be taken lightly.
That’s why we’ve put together this complete, in-depth guide to Omnisend’s features and capabilities. After reading through this guide, you’ll be able to compare Omnisend with other platforms and make a decision with the confidence that you know exactly what you’re getting.
Ready to get started? Let’s jump straight into an Omnisend overview.
What is Omnisend?
Omnisend is a multi-channel marketing automation platform. It is designed specifically for the needs of small and medium-sized ecommerce businesses, helping them to streamline their marketing processes with smart, automated solutions that boost revenue while saving time and resources.
Key features include:
- Pre-built automated workflows
- Smart segmentation for personalized messaging
- Seamless omnichannel campaigns
- Interactive sign-up forms
- In-depth analytics and reporting
- Drag-and-drop email builder
Omnisend aims to help ecommerce retailers to increase their sales, not their workloads. By automating repetitive, mundane marketing tasks, smaller businesses can better focus on growth strategies while competing with far better-resourced competitors.
Omnisend’s focus on personalization also keeps marketing relevant, allowing retailers to reach out with the right message, at the right time, to the right person. This means less meaningless noise for consumers and better results for marketers.
The History of Omnisend
Co-founders Rytis Lauris and Justas Kriukas launched Omnisend in 2014 as an email marketing platform initially called Soundest.
In 2017, it expanded from a simple email service provider to an omnichannel marketing automation platform with the mission of “Making Marketing Relevant.”
Since then, Omnisend has attracted more than 70,000 happy customers from all over the world, and has expanded its operations from its head office in Vilnius, Lithuania to other locations in North America.
Omnisend provides different price levels that are designed to help ecommerce retailers to scale up as they grow.
Unlike many other platforms, which only unlock more advanced features at higher price levels, all of Omnisend’s features are available to all users at all times, even those on the free plan. This is ideal for businesses who are building from scratch, as they can take advantage of Omnisend’s powerful automations, segmentation, and omnichannel campaigns from the very start of their journey and experience rapid growth.
So how do you scale up with Omnisend? Well, it all depends on how many contacts you wish to reach and how many emails you wish to send. The Free Plan is limited to 250 contacts, while the Standard and Pro Plans can be scaled up based on the number of contacts you require at any given time. The following prices are based on 500 contacts for Standard and Pro users:
Best for starting businesses or for exploring Omnisend.
- Reach up to 250 contacts
- 500 emails/mo
- Up to 60 SMS
- Up to 500 Web Push
- Professional Looking Email Templates
- Pre-built Automations & Workflows
- Popups & Signup Forms
- Segmentation & Customer Analytics
- Sales & Performance Reports
- A/B Testing
- Customer Support Via Email
Best for growing and medium-sized businesses focused on email marketing.
- Reach up to 500 contacts
- 6,000 emails/mo
- Up to 60 SMS
- Unlimited Web Push
Includes EVERYTHING in Free, plus:
- Customer Success Manager (from 60K contacts)
- 24/7 Chat and Live support
Best for high-volume senders aimed at adding extra power with SMS.
- Reach up to 500 contacts
- Unlimited emails
- Up to 3,933 SMS/mo
- Unlimited Web Push
Includes EVERYTHING in Standard, plus:
- Advanced Reporting
- Customer Success Manager (from 27K contacts)
- 24/7 Priority Support
As your business grows and you need to reach more contacts, the prices increase accordingly. For example, if you have grown your subscriber list by 10x to 5000, the price for Standard and Pro Plans would be $65/mo and $90/mo respectively.
This flexible and fair pricing system means that your prices increase alongside your revenue. It offers the best value for money for small and medium-sized ecommerce businesses looking to grow without compromising on access to advanced features.
Omnisend Billing Options
Omnisend accepts VISA (credit, debit, prepaid), MasterCard (credit, debit, prepaid), and American Express (credit, prepaid) card payments. Discover, Diners Club, JCB, UnionPay cards are not supported.
With all of its powerful features immediately available for all users, Omnisend allows you to plan and execute advanced marketing strategies from the get-go. Let’s take a deeper dive into Omnisend’s key features, and learn how best to benefit from them.
Pre-built automated workflows
Ominsend is a complete marketing automation platform for ecommerce. It offers a wide range of pre-built automation workflows across multiple channels that you can start using right away or easily adjust to fit your particular requirements.
With Omnisend data showing that automated emails are driving 32% of all email marketing orders from only 2.4% of email sends, it’s clear that the effective use of automation workflows has become an essential part of any ecommerce retailer’s strategy. Marketers who haven’t realized this are leaving money on the table and losing ground on their competitors.
Examples of Omnisend’s revenue-driving automation workflows include:
- Welcome Series: Welcome Series introduces new customers to your brand, allowing you to share your story and values while encouraging a first purchase with relevant deals. Welcome Series are typically sent in a sequence of 3 messages and attract consistently high conversion rates. As you can see below, Welcome Series is the best performing automation workflow for Omnisend users. A typical example of a Welcome Series would be an initial email to thank a new subscriber for signing up, a second email telling your company story, values, and mission, and an SMS with an exclusive, time-sensitive offer to encourage a first purchase.
- Product/Browse Abandonment: A large percentage of users will browse pages and products in your store and leave without ever adding anything to their carts. Product and Browse Abandonment Workflows allow you to reach out to these visitors and remind them about what they might have missed. Using website tracking data, you can target site visitors with relevant and personalized recommendations based on what they have previously shown an interest in. This is usually done over a series of 3 messages, including a web push notification for an instant reminder as the user leaves your site, an email with relevant recommendations, and an SMS with a time-sensitive offer to incentivize a first purchase.
- Cart Abandonment: Cart Abandonment is a popular and effective revenue-driving automation, helping you to recapture a percentage of the 70% average rate of customers placing items in their carts and not completing the sale. Cart Abandonment automated messages are highly effective, achieving impressive conversion rates of 39.72% in H1 2021. Omnisend’s standard cart recovery email series is a good example of an effective workflow, with a sequence of 3 increasingly urgent emails that provide a single click CTA back to the abandoned product while politely reminding customers of what they left behind. You could also include personalized product recommendations, in case the color, size, or any other variable wasn’t quite right the first time around.
Save your discount for the final email here—customers who have taken the steps to place a product in their carts show a high level of purchase intent and often need only a minor nudge to seal the deal.
- Order/Shipping Confirmation: Rather than being mere formalities to confirm an order or shipping information, these widely read emails are an undervalued resource for cross-selling. Of course, automated confirmation emails are essential to give peace of mind to customers that their order was fulfilled correctly and with no hidden costs. But with combined conversion rates of 18.17%, it’s clear that retailers are beginning to realize the hidden revenue potential lurking within. Omnisend allows you to add personalized product recommendations, ‘customers also bought’ item suggestions, and buyer-only discounts and offers in post-purchase messages. This not only makes your confirmation emails more personal and relevant to each customer but ensures that you’re not missing out on a valuable source of extra revenue.
- Birthday: A thoughtful and generous birthday automated workflow can help to build customer loyalty by showing them how much you care. These messages are sent either on or just before a subscriber’s special day and can offer anything from a free gift to special discounts on products they’ve shown an interest in and free shipping.
Birthday emails are popular with Omnisend users, with their impressively high click rates showing that they’re attractive and appreciated by consumers. Don’t forget to ask for dates of birth in your subscriber sign-up forms so you can take advantage of this effective automated workflow.
Smart segmentation for personalized messaging
Segmentation is the splitting of your subscriber list into smaller, more focused categories based on a variety of criteria.
For example, you could target customers who have purchased in the last 30 days with follow-up emails introducing your loyalty program, cross-selling with complementary products, or asking for a review. Other ways to segment your audience include things like demographics, geographic location, browsing behavior, tags, and much more.
Omnisend segmentation is straightforward—you simply set your desired segmentation rules before sending your campaign.
You can combine multiple rules, choose from a variety of filters and narrow down your targeting to very specific contacts who will find your messaging most relevant. This personalized and targeted approach will improve your deliverability, engagement, and ultimately, your sales. In fact, according to Epsilon, 80% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase when brands offer personalized experiences.
Examples of Omnisend’s segmentation features include:
- Customer Lifecycle: Customer Lifecycle Segmentation automatically prioritizes your customer engagement strategy so you always know who you need to reach out to next. It breaks down your subscriber list into manageable parts based on their current lifecycle stage, including things like average order value, days since last purchase, purchase frequency, and more.
This allows you to target customers with personalized messages based on their current lifecycle status. For example, you can send re-activation emails for at-risk subscribers who haven’t engaged for some time, or offer exclusive deals for your most loyal and valuable champions. Customer Lifecycle segmentation saves you time and resources by prioritizing your marketing towards those who will give the most impact and can boost customer retention by keeping subscribers engaged and happy.
- Shopping Behavior: Because Omnisend has been designed specifically for ecommerce retailers, you have the option of segmenting your audience by a wide range of transactional and browsing behaviors. For example, you can target customers who have looked at a particular product but didn’t buy it or those who haven’t bought anything at all in the last 90 days.
Remember, the further you narrow down your segmentation rules, the more relevant and personal your messaging will be.
- Contact Tagging: Contact tags are labels that help you to organize your contacts by their behaviors and interests. Omnisend generates and applies various tags automatically, allowing you to easily segment based on things like the store platform they use and their sign-up source. You can also assign custom tags to help you categorize your contacts more precisely. For example, you can have subscribers tagged when they click on certain links, blog articles they read, devices they use, and much more. Contact tags allow you to build a comprehensive profile about each individual subscriber and segment with incredible detail and accuracy.
Seamless omnichannel campaigns
As the name suggests, Omnisend has a strong focus on Omnichannel marketing. Omnichannel marketing aims to deliver an integrated customer experience across multiple channels, delivering messages that are adapted to build on previous interactions in the customer journey.
Omnichannel marketing has proven to be a successful strategy, with Omnisend data showing that campaigns using at least three channels enjoy three times higher purchase rates than those limited to a single channel.
However, unlike multichannel marketing, which uses multiple channels to send out the same message, an omnichannel strategy requires a more sophisticated approach. Omnisend’s interface makes it easy to get different channels working together to create a unified message, voice, and brand for your company.
Omnisend offers the following five channels for you to base your omnichannel strategy on:
- Email: Email is still the most effective marketing channel for ecommerce. Its opt-in nature and rich content possibilities make it the most familiar and comfortable online shopping option for retailers and consumers alike. Email is the starting point for much of Omnisend’s omnichannel marketing capabilities, with other channels often adding to and complementing a well-timed and personalized email campaign. As well as segmented email campaigns, you’ll be able to easily create and send automated emails, newsletters, and transactional emails with an intuitive drag-and-drop email builder.
- SMS: SMS has become an important ingredient in the omnichannel mix. A well-timed SMS adds time sensitivity and urgency to your campaigns, with over 90% of SMS messages being read within 3 minutes of receipt. Omnisend offers popular and effective pre-built email + SMS automations, standalone SMS campaigns for a worldwide audience, MMS capabilities, and free SMS credits for its Pro & Enterprise plans. Don’t forget to start asking for phone numbers on your sign-up forms to start taking advantage of this revenue-driving addition to your omnichannel strategy.
- Push Notifications: Like SMS, Push Notifications are another time-sensitive marketing channel that’s showing a lot of promise. These are sent almost instantaneously, directly in the customer’s browser, to remind them of a product in their cart, or offer a deal on a complementary purchase.
With impressive conversion rates of 35.66% in the first half of 2021, it’s clear that Push Notifications are becoming an essential component of an effective omnichannel strategy. Omnisend makes them available in both automations and campaigns, and they are simple to set up and start using right away.
- Facebook Retargeting: Omnisend has built-in integration with Facebook, making it simple to sync your contacts to Facebook Custom Audiences. This means that you can reach customers on their Facebook and Instagram pages with relevant, targeted ads based on their previous shopping behavior. You can remind customers of products that they’ve browsed or added to their cart, or re-engage those who haven’t purchased recently with new items. Facebook retargeting helps to keep your brand and products at the top of customers’ minds by reaching them directly on the places where they like to spend time.
- Google Retargeting: Omnisend also has built-in integration with Google, meaning that your contacts are dynamically synced and kept updated with Google Customer Match. Similar to Facebook Retargeting, you’ll be able to reach out with personalized ads on the Google Ads Network and YouTube, keeping your messaging relevant and consistent while customers are browsing their favorite websites.
Dynamic sign-up forms
Effective opt-in marketing channels like email and SMS require an engaged subscriber base who are happy to receive your promotional messages. The best way to attract potential customers to your list is via dynamic and interactive sign-up forms that capture customer information in a natural and unobtrusive way while abiding by data collection laws such as GDPR.
Omnisend offers the following sign-up forms to help you build your subscriber list:
- Static sign-up forms: These are the traditional sign-up forms that most marketing platforms will offer as standard. These forms often feature one field to capture an email address, alongside a sign-up incentive and a text like “Sign up today.” For SMS marketing and birthday automations, don’t forget to ask for phone numbers and dates-of-birth too!
While static forms can attract visitors who have already decided to sign up to your list, a more active approach is needed to reach those who might be unsure. According to research by Omnisend, standard static sign-up boxes have relatively low conversion rates of just 1.28%.
- Pop-ups: These are more dynamic sign-up forms that are most effective when they appear just as a visitor is leaving your site. This has given them a chance to see what your brand has to offer and provides them with an easy option to enter their details to hear more. Pop-ups are a step up on static forms in terms of results, converting at a more reasonable 4.22%.
- Interactive forms: Omnisend differentiates itself from many of its competitors by offering interactive sign-up forms that provide a better customer experience. For example, the ‘Wheel of Fortune’ invites visitors to enter contact details for the opportunity to spin a wheel and win a prize. This introduces a gamified element to the sign-up process, with conversion rates jumping to 12.74% as a result.
- Landing pages: Finally, there are focused landing pages that can be directly linked to social media campaigns for easy sign-up. These are effective because they offer a clear call-to-action—visitors are directed to a page dedicated to your sign-up campaign rather than a website full of other distractions. Landing pages that are based on a certain incentive (free shipping, for example) have the highest conversion rates of all sign-up forms, with an impressive 24.82%.
In-depth analytics and reporting
You can’t improve what you don’t measure, so a powerful analytics and reporting tool is essential for business growth. Omnisend offers in-depth ecommerce-focused reports, automatically generated for easy access at the click of a button.
Omnisend’s analytics is based on the data it collects from website tracking, user behavior, and transactional events to provide a unified, single-customer view. This allows you to build complete profiles of each individual customer to fully map out their customer journey. You’ll also get a breakdown of each channel’s performance, keep track of your campaign and automations engagement, and much more.
Some examples of Omnisend’s reporting includes:
- Sales Dashboard: All of your key metrics in one, easy-to-read place. Here you’ll find your sales numbers generated across all campaigns and automations, as well as comparisons to previous periods for a big-picture view.
- Campaign and automation reports: Dig deeper into individual campaigns and automations to measure what’s actually driving your sales. Here you’ll find detailed revenue and engagement metrics for each campaign and automation so you can find your weak points and work on them.
- Advanced Reporting dashboards: Here you’ll be able to view all of your performance metrics in real-time and spot sales trends in a single view. Omnisend’s advanced reporting automatically sorts your data into lists ranked by best-performers, so you always know which strategies are working out best. You can also keep tabs on your omnichannel marketing with detailed insights into the performance of each individual channel.
Drag-and-drop email builder
The ability to send personalized messages requires a speedy and intuitive email builder. Omnisend offers a drag-and-drop style builder, allowing you to quickly create and edit your emails and include things like personalized product recommendations, discount codes, scratch cards, gift boxes, and more for different segments of your audience.
Omnisend has also ensured that all of your emails are responsive to look great wherever they are viewed. This is an important point—you can’t afford to miss out on the 41.6% of email opens that occur on mobile devices! This includes the correct placement of images, videos, GIFS, and other dynamic content in your emails, ensuring a comfortable experience for all mobile users.
As well as the ability to save your emails and content blocks for easy editing and future use, Omnisend has a huge range of pre-built templates to choose from. These are purposefully designed for ecommerce merchants, making it easy for you to simply drag and drop your own content into a template of your choice. All email creation is done without the need for coding or technical know-how, allowing you to quickly personalize your emails for more relevant marketing.
How to Log Into Omnisend
To start using all of Omnisend’s features for free, the first step is to create an account. This can be done without entering credit card details.
The next step is to integrate your store or website with Omnisend, a process that will vary depending on your ecommerce store platform. Popular platforms that Omnisend integrates seamlessly with include Shopify, BigCommerce, and WooCommerce.
Finally, set up your account with particulars such as language, time zone, sender’s email address, brand logo, and more. Then you’re ready to explore Omnisend’s features and start sending campaigns!
Omnisend & Ecommerce
Who is Omnisend right for?
Omnisend is ideal for small and medium-sized ecommerce businesses that are looking to grow their revenues without increasing their expenditure on additional resources.
It is an all-in-one platform for ecommerce growth, offering all of the tools needed to reach out with automated, personalized messages over multiple channels.
Who is Omnisend not right for?
Established, enterprise-level ecommerce retailers might already have access to alternatives to Omnisend that have specialized features for larger businesses. Omnisend’s pricing does begin to bite when large numbers of contacts are required. For example, Omnisend’s Pro Plan comes to $650/mo when 50,000 contacts are needed.
How to Use Omnisend with Ecommerce
Omnisend was created for ecommerce. Retailers can use it to automate their marketing and reach out to customers over multiple channels to create a unified experience. With less time and resources dedicated to repetitive tasks, small, nimble teams are able to focus on more impactful aspects of their strategy.
With Omnisend, ecommerce marketers can do things like:
- Build a thriving contact list
- Send highly converting email campaigns
- Create an omnichannel marketing strategy
- Drive revenue on autopilot with automated emails and SMS
- Closely track and analyze their results
- Retain their customers with dedicated customer retention features
- And much more
How Bloggers and Content Creators Use Omnisend
With a strong ecommerce focus, bloggers and creators might not require most of the features that Omnisend offers. However, with a free version offering advanced newsletter campaigns for up to 250 contacts, small-scale bloggers and creators can certainly benefit from Omisend’s advanced segmentation capabilities.
With a host of dynamic sign-up forms, strong engagement analytics, and an intuitive email builder, bloggers and creators can reach out with high-quality, personalized content across multiple channels from the very beginning of their journey. And if they choose to scale up or introduce an ecommerce element to their model, the option is easily available.
Ultimately though, since Omnisend is made for ecommerce businesses, bloggers and creators could find a platform that is more focused toward their particular needs.
Omnisend and Shopify
Integrating Shopify with Omnisend allows you to create an automated and personalized marketing strategy directly from your Shopify store. You’ll be able to run revenue-driving automations and create engaging marketing campaigns across multiple channels for a seamless customer experience.
What is Shopify?
Shopify is a leading ecommerce platform that offers all of the tools you need to create a successful online business. As well as its own built-in functionality, you’re also able to easily integrate with third-party apps such as Omnisend, giving you powerful marketing capabilities with a global reach.
List of All Omnisend Integrations
As well as major ecommerce platforms like Shopify, Omnisend offers seamless integration with a wide variety of other useful ecommerce tools:
- Amazon Advertising
- Bold Commerce
- Email Collection Bar
- Email Pirate
- Happy Birthday
- Shopify Flow
- Shopify Plus
Migrating to Omnisend
Omnisend provides full support in your migration process. With its many integrations, connection to your ecommerce store platform (Shopify, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, Magento, etc.) and other ecommerce tools will be a breeze.
For example, features such as a Mailchimp Data Import Tool allow you to automatically sync your contacts data, including contact properties, tags, segments and engagement stats from Mailchimp.
There is 24/7 customer support for any migration-related issues and for customers that qualify for a customer success manager, personal onboarding & dedicated migration support are also available.
Omnisend, like many of its competitors, offers a comprehensive automated marketing platform with many time-saving tools to help you drive revenue. What sets Omnisend apart, however, is it’s focus on the particular ecommerce needs of small to medium-sized businesses.
If you’re ready to give it a try, you can start Omnisend for free today, and start sending your omnichannel marketing campaigns and automations immediately.
READY TO TRY OMNISEND?